TRANSFORMING FROM A MANAGER INTO A LEADER.
Leadership is very important in a small business. The difference in a manager and a leader is monumental. While a manager directs and controls people and resources, a leader inspires people to follow, to be loyal, and to produce results. Learning and understanding the traits of an effective leader is powerful and can be the difference in your company being average or exceptional.
- Have a Vision: Leaders have visions. Knowing what you want to accomplish and what you want your organization to become is an important part of being a great leader and building a successful business.
- Create a Strategic Plan: Having a strategic plan is vital. A great leader always has one. A strategic plan is a road map to get to where you want to be. Having a focused plan helps a leader in carrying out their vision.
- Show Passion: Passion is contagious. When discussing your company’s vision let your passion shine through. If others see and feel your passion as the leader of the organization, they are more likely to trust and support your vision.
- Remain Humble: As a leader, humility is essential in learning from the mistakes of yourself and others. Receiving feedback from others allows you to gain valuable insight while identifying areas in which you can work on to become an even better leader.
- Be a Good Listener: Good leaders use active listening skills. Taking the time to listen to others shows your team members that their opinions and feeling do matter.
- Show Appreciation: As a leader it is important to understand that the contribution from individuals on your team contribute to the company’s achievements and success. By showing appreciation others see that you do not take their hard work and dedication for granted. Showing appreciation as a leader goes a long way. Employee motivation remains high and your team feels like a valuable part of the company, producing better results.
- Take Responsibility: Being able to admit when something does not work as planned is a sign of a great leader. It shows your employees that you are human too and not afraid to show it.
- Be Flexible & Adapt to Change: The business world is one that is ever-changing. As a leader, understanding the need to adapt to their surroundings along with the needs of the company is important in staying on top.