Who we are
At Independent Youth we have one goal: empower today’s youth to become tomorrow’s business leaders and entrepreneurial innovators.
Independent Youth Inc. (IY), founded in May 2010 is a 501(c)3 social enterprise that educates teens (ages 12-21 years old) on entrepreneurship by offering unique programs and resources. The mission of IY is to generate entrepreneurial awareness and understanding among youth through an array of educational programs and hands-on experiences. Independent Youth accomplishes its mission through various programs including; Annual Teen Entrepreneurship Symposiums (TrepStart), on-site student trainings (customized workshops), and a business launch competition (The 30 Day Entrepreneurship Challenge).
The organization also works with the Nation’s top kid and teen entrepreneurs by providing them with a platform to not only give back to the youth entrepreneurial eco-system, but also become members of a very powerful group of youth that connect, learn, develop and grow into even stronger young professionals with resources that are provided by Independent Youth and partner organizations as they become great leaders of the next generation!
Through Independent Youth's programs and resources, the organization aims to:
- Introduce students to entrepreneurship in a unique and unconventional way using peer to peer teaching methods, allowing students to be better engaged and have a greater understanding.
- Educate students on entrepreneurship as another career option.
- Teach kids how to find their passion and translate their skills/trade into an entrepreneurial endeavor.
- Provide students with networking skills by exposing them to the power of networking while introducing them to successful teen entrepreneurs from across the nation.
- Give students the skills to become more entrepreneurial-minded individuals.
Our diverse Board of Directors offer years of real-life knowledge and experience across multiple entrepreneurial and business ventures, while our Junior Board Members, comprised of successful teen entrepreneurs, provide invaluable feedback on our programs and the constantly evolving teen culture.
Independent Youth programs are designed to positively impact the student, which in turn has the potential to positively impact their family and community. As a social enterprise 501(c)(3) we are measuring our success in terms of Social Impact. We give students a jump-start to discover their passions, develop their ideas into concrete plans, and to make a difference in their lives and the lives around them.